Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The Leaves They Are A-Changin'

Those of you keeping abreast of my latest moves will know that I have been spending a lot of time on my roof recently. It is a nice, calming place to be. It lets me drink a beer in peace, look up at the five visible stars, and ponder the happenings of the world and where I went wrong. Anyway, I noticed last night while enjoying a Sam Adams Octoberfest (yes it is out now and as delicious as I recalled (for those of you who don't recall, my previous roommate and I went through 16 of the 21 Sam Adams varieties last year in what we dubbed the "Sam Adams Challenge" (there were some real winners (Octoberfest was among them) and some real losers (Old Fezziwig Ale to name one of many)))) I happened to notice that the leaves were starting to change color on the tree across the street from my roof. It is not too noticeable yet, just a dozens leaves or so towards the bottom, but it is happening nonetheless. I don’t know if that insight it supposed to be poetic or somehow insightful, but it struck me last night and I thought I would share.

In other news, I have been listening to "Desire" almost non-stop for the past three days. It seems to me to be one of Bob Dylan's more overlooked albums. It has the nearly infamous song "Hurricane" on it, but I am willing to bet most people cannot name another track off of the album. The sad thing about that is "Hurricane" isn't even the best song on the album, "Sara," and "One More Cup of Coffee (Valley Below)" are superior on most accounts. Anyhow, I highly suggest you listen to it again if you already have it or you find some way of listening to it if you do not have it.

3 comments:

Wilshire said...

sam adams octoberfest is simply a middle of the road octoberfest. Nothing to write home about. Also, I'm a beer snob. I have no business speaking about Dylan however, so I'll let your latter statements stand unadulterated.

Liz said...

yuuuuuuck!!!

Hot Topologic said...

The Sam Adams was pretty decent as I recall. Which ones didn't we get to? I can't remember.

As for Desire, yeah, it is awesome, although I think most critics' opinions do indeed put it in with his other great albums, though not quite in the same league as, say, Highway 61 Revisited. It is truly awesome, though. Excepting "Mozambique," all the songs are pretty awesome. I particularly like the bizarre story that is "Black Diamond Bay." I'd also suggest checking out the White Stripes' cover of "One More Cup of Coffee."