Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Just Another Day At Work

Yesterday as I rode my bike into work I was in a surprisingly good mood. I think it because this weekend I enjoyed some merriment under the auspice of my birthday. I hung out with a bunch of people this weekend and even ate some food and drank a few beverages of a refreshing nature. Anyhow, yesterday I rode my bike into work. I have started to do that when I feel like sleeping in for an extra couple of minutes. I am pretty sure I can bike to work faster than I could drive in, given morning traffic in D.C. Almost more importantly, the bike ride to work is only narrowly longer than the walk to the train station. So, if I am not in my Sunday best, I have started to opt for the bike to work.

I've digressed, as I was coming into work I rode past this. There have been several protests in D.C. lately and I believe they have all been led by a group called October Revolution. The protest yesterday morning was a large group consisting of the aforementioned rapping polar bears, Code Pink, and Veterans Against the War. I paused for a moment as I was entering my office building to watch at least six people get arrested. Now, before anyone flips their lid, saying that they were using their right to free assembly/petition the government, I would point you to the fact that they were standing in the the middle of the street ( not shown in the video) obstructing the flow of traffic on Independence Ave. This, by the way, is illegal. The protesters who remained on the sidewalk were free from the "iron fist" of the Capitol Hill police.

On a related side note, on Friday the October Rebellion folks marched in Georgetown to protest the World Bank's actions. My pal who resides in Georgetown and I planned on attending the protests to watch and learn. She ended up getting stuck in the library working, and I was taken out to a birthday dinner of Indian food by some gracious compatriots, so we ended up missing them. We also missed a lady getting hit in the face with a brick.

Stay tuned for more from the city where Democracy always works.

1 comment:

Hot Topologic said...

Democracy works like a load of bricks. In the face.