Wednesday, September 26, 2007

These Days

Well, it occurred to me that I haven't updated this blog in a few days, and I'm sure that my huge reader base is in withdrawal. There hasn't been too much going on lately that is interesting or exciting, at least nothing that I am comfortable posting on teh intarwebs (at least not yet). In the interests of having this post not solely discuss my anger at the D6 bus, I will share with you some of the things I have been reading lately.

The two books that I read most recently are The Shipping News and Death by Black Hole: And Other Cosmic Quandaries. The former is a piece of fiction and the latter is a book about black holes. I should say that The Shipping News was recommended to me by a good pal and was a great recommendation. It is quite possibly the best piece of fiction I have read in a long time (if you've checked my facebooks recently you'll notice it made it into my "Favorite Books" list.) I have already passed it along to one of my roommates in the hopes that he will read it and enjoy it as thoroughly as I do. It's sort of dark and I was worried a lot of the way through it that the lose plot ends wouldn't be tied up satisfactorily, but they were. I've been thinking about it a lot lately about what makes books good, but having not majored in English, and being not nearly as pretentious as people give me credit for, I have trouble quantifying what makes literature good. This one was good though.

The second book I mentioned is something I have been wanting to read for a long time. It is by Neil deGrasse Tyson, who is definitely my favorite astrophysicist. It is a compilation of essays Dr. Tyson has written throughout the years and they are all witty and informative. I learned a lot about space and I am now armed with more useless facts to spout out about space and bore others. I would suggest it for anyone who is interested in science! and wants an easy read (that is not to say that it is elementary, but I am even less of an English major than I am a science! major and I had no trouble understanding it.)

Also, I have started two new books, Le comte de Monte-Cristo (that deserves a double italics) and Dreaming in Cuban. I am enjoying the former more than the latter but will continue to work my way through both of them--presumably I will be done with the latter before the former as it is 900(ish) less pages.

Finally, a ridiculous occurrence today with the D6. As I walked home two buses passed me. The past three times I walked home from work I did not spot a single bus, today two! What the hell! (Said in the style of you know who.) Anyway, that's all for today folks. Stay tuned for more "interesting" stories from the city designed by a Frenchman.

3 comments:

Wilshire said...

I may feel up to starting a blog again soon. Hopefully this time I won't end up hurting one of my parents deeply, spawning mistrust and lasting anger.

Hot Topologic said...

Maybe this time you should try supporting our President, libtard.

Hot Topologic said...

I would like to second that Neil deGrasse Tyson is a totally sweet dude.