Monday, September 17, 2007

Inagural Post

Good morning internets. It is pretty early in the morning and I am unable to sleep. It is too late to keep drinking and too early to start so I've looked to my mistress the intarwebs to pass the time. Where's a picture of a big truck when you need one?

I'm sure all of you know this already but I am in Washington D.C., the Federal City, the birthplace of democracy, America's Capital. If you want to watch democracy inaction, this is where you go. (See what I did there?) Currently, I have a job on Capitol Hill (or as Washington insiders call it "The Hill"). (Also an interesting note, Washington insiders don't call Washington D.C. Washington, it's D.C. So if you want to come here and sound initiated into all of D.C.'s glory make sure you don't call it Washington, or Lexington for that matter.)

Now I know what you're all thinking, "You work for the United States House of Representatives, you're so kickass!" And, while I am pretty kickass I don't think that it is tied to my current job. There's a little saying around D.C. about Capitol Hill (The Hill), I haven't learned it yet because I haven't been here too long, but I'm pretty sure it has something to do with all the Rogers that work there and how you have to be an idiot to take a job there. But, I was a political science major, (like every other person on Capitol Hill) so I guess this is my calling--much like moderately priced soaps. There is one thing I know about the Hill that is pretty awesome though, it has the nickname of "The Last Plantation." You see Congress, being the lawmakers, decided that they should exempt themselves from virtually every labor law on the books, pretty much the only thing they're not allowed to do is ask you if you are a Republican or Democrat. For those of you keeping score at home, they do anyway. Several weeks ago there were fliers going around for a blood drive. The posters asked that each Congressional office have one intern volunteer to donate blood. They went on to say, "Interns on Capitol Hill are treated notoriously poorly. Everything is taken from them but their blood, and now we want that too." I thought it was pretty cute, and yes an intern from our office gave blood. Brilliant.

Stay tuned in for more stories from the city with more lawyers per capita than any other city in the United States.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

good morning internets